Monday, April 2, 2012

Stilettos to Hiking Boots


When I was presented with the opportunity to join the Ascend Team in 2005, I was energized by the opportunity to fulfill my desire to help others.  After learning more about the organization my excitement grew, however, I was not enthused about the idea of trekking to a third world country on expedition.  I was content serving others from the comfort of my familiar surroundings in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Although I began to grow fond of the adorable, smiling faces in the photos that were regularly sent to the Ascend office from the South American and African staff and expedition participants, I still had a fear of scabies, lice and well…dirt.   I could not imagine a week with out my stilettos and designer hand bags.
After a few months, Carolyn Dailey, Ascend’s CEO, who has participated in countless expeditions, had me talked into going on an Executive Oversite Expedition to Peru.  For a girl that had never been out of the country or even camping for that matter, this was a monumental commitment.
I purchased a new pair of hiking boots because the only other flat shoes in my closet were my pool flip flops and my gym shoes.  Those not so pretty, very comfortable and practical hiking boots lead me on the adventure of a lifetime.
Peru is a beautiful country with beautiful people.   I had the opportunity to serve in urban and remote rural villages.  The tremendous need of the Peruvian people is undeniable.
Tears fill my eyes as I reflect on the opportunity I had to teach Peruvian children the importance of hygiene and hand washing.  I had the blessing, despite language barriers, to wash and paint the fingernails of tiny hands that had not been cleaned in weeks or longer.  My purell obsession and scabies phobia disappeared as I became acquainted with the smiling faces that surrounded me.
I was not qualified to prescribe medication or provide dental care as others on our expedition were able to do, however, my insignificant contribution may help keep some of those little people healthier this year.
Experiencing an expedition is truly a life changing experience.  It is not a vacation at a lovely spa, however, it was the best vacation money I ever spent.
My fondness for fabulous clothes and five star hotels has not diminished, however, after my brief time in Peru, I have a renewed commitment to use my talents and abilities to help others.  I look forward to another expedition in 2007.
Rachel went on an expedition to Ecuador in 2007. We are so happy to have her part of the Ascend team.

No comments:

Post a Comment