Thursday, March 21, 2013

Opportunity to Serve

I want to thank you for taking a few minutes to come to our blog! We are so grateful for the people who have come to visit us, learned a little about us and then become part of our community.

Also, if you don't mind, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Becky Olsen, and I am the Director of Marketing for Ascend Alliance. I had the opportunity to go on our most recent service expedition to Jech-Vo, Chiapas, Mexico where our group built an addition to an elementary school, repaired a very dilapidated retaining wall that was collapsing into two home-sites, and also brought in a Dentist for a care and education campaign. 

The group that had assembled for this trip was comprised of exceptional people who are all hard working and very talented in unique ways. Some traveled from Texas, and others were from various cities in Utah, but the one thing we all had in common was our desire to serve. I have to admit, it had been a while since I had balanced a wheelbarrow, jumped on a shovel and wielded a paint brush, but each task that needed done was an opportunity to push myself past fatigue and embrace the true joy of giving to a community. 


The long term impact of these efforts by our group of 23 expeditioners can't be measured at this time, but we do know that there is now room for 25 more young children to go to school everyday. But the impact on me, I can measure that. I grew in faith that believing that small contributions can make a big difference, that the small seed of hope can grow into a flower of success, and that working with joy in my heart can be contagious for those around me.


Opportunity is everywhere to become the humanitarian you were meant to be!

2 comments: