Thursday, May 23, 2013

Living Life in Two Cultures - A Series by Ashley Patino

There is a great quote that says, 

"sometimes, you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.



My middle of nowhere, where I learned the most about myself is a little town called Olmos. This little nowhere in Argentina is where I fell in love with the Latin people and  culture. Some days I feel like I left my heart there, a place that I loved and loved me back. The people really influenced me in wanting to become more of a humanitarian in my life and every day I  still want to serve for them. It's amazing how you can meet people and feel like you have known them your whole life. They helped me realize the balance that I needed in my life, and had longed for such long time.  It's not about what you have but, who you share it with.  I still am not great at it in my personal life, but I know what it feels like and I want to keep trying.  Have you ever walked in a room and could feel how  much everyone loved you and how excited they are to see you?.  It's been awhile since I have felt that way.  I love returning to Peru, because I know when I walk in everyone will hug and kiss me, and we will celebrate.  When I return to Olmos I can see it in my head now. Everyone  running onto the street yelling Hermana Bach! Hermana Bach is back! I can't wait!  I want to dedicate my blog post to them and share some reasons on why living and serving within the Latin culture is inspiring.

·         IT'S ALL ABOUT FAMILY
I used to think family was just my personal family. I haven't ever experienced that kind of closeness with anyone else before, or enough to say they are my family.  Olmos taught me how to be open and learn to let others into my life, just like family. They took care of me, and let me be myself.  The first Sunday I arrived in Argentina I met my sister Maria.  She took care of me, wrote to me, would send me presents, and even would come visit me when I needed support.  Even now when we talk it's like no time has passed and I can hear in her tone a love for me that inspires me.  In Spanish the word is called  "Carino". One day I hope I am as faithful, and loving as she is. Love you Maria!
 Maria and my family!



SECOND THAT LIFE IS A PARTY, THAT SHOULD ALWAYS INCLUDE FOOD
I've never been to someone's house, party or gathering of some sort that didn't include food and music! I love that tradition.  They will feed you, even if they have nothing.  They will invite you, even if there isn't enough.  It taught me that it isn't about living life in scarcity, but living life in abundance. Another tradition that has inspired me, is they never leave anyone out.  If you walk in and we are eating, they will always invite you.  If we are playing a game, they will have you join in.  If were dancing, they will get you dancing too! Amazing.
Their first time at Mcdonalds!




·   And last tradition that has been inspiring to me, is the way they greet you.

When you walk into the room everyone will greet you and give you a hug or kiss. They acknowledge your presence, and even when you leave, you will say goodbye to each person.  It builds a confidence and a closeness, that I have really enjoyed. 



So not much this week about my husband and I, but wanted to share my experience that really helped to find myself . I live to love, to inspire, to hope, and to serve all because of you Olmos.  My middle of nowhere, my safe haven.  Besos
Hasta pronto,
Chau chau


Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment